Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Internet Safety Reflection (PLE Week 14)

I chose to read the article about Provident Living Guidelines to Internet Safety. It was a good and brief list of things to do to keep your home safe and free of inappropriate things. I watched the video in class that comprised many little segments and the statistics I heard were shocking. I'm sure they've only escalated since then because that was five years old. What I really took away from the video was that kids need to ask themselves a few simple questions before going onto the internet. They undoubtedly won't be completely honest with random people on the internet, so why should they be under the assumption that someone else will. The internet is a dangerous place and it should be treated with caution just like any other place with potential hazards.

I chose to talk to my wife about what I had learned while watching the movie, and she like myself was appalled at some of the numbers. It led us into a great discussion about what kind of rules we will have as parents for our children. Naturally things will change by then, but we realize that it's not worth it to just not talk about things with your kids. We want to sit them down and give them an orientation before they use I chose to talk to my wife about what I had learned while watching the movie, and she like myself was appalled at some of the numbers. It led us into a great discussion about what kind of rules we will have as parents for our children. Naturally things will change by then, but we realize that it's not worth it to just not talk about things with your kids. We want to sit them down and give them an orientation before they use Facebook or other internet sites. If a child iknowledgeable about something it is likely that he or she will not abuse it.

0 comments: